Bringing New Voices to NPMA Leadership
NPMA has always recognized the need for an active and engaged base of volunteers to set the strategic direction and support the work of the organization. And to ensure that all members are heard and engaged, the association set forth with a new task force to develop a plan for the engagement of all audiences.
In September 2021, the NPMA Board of Directors established a task force to assess the structural pest control industry’s inclusion, diversity and equity (IDE) needs and work towards implementing solutions that improve the inclusivity of the pest control industry to reflect the diverse communities in which they serve. In addition, the task force was charged with enhancing the industry’s ability to attract diverse prospective professionals in the highly competitive and diverse labor market.
With the support of NPMA CEO Dominique Stumpf, CAE; Dr. Jim Fredericks, NPMA Senior Vice President, Tech & Regulatory Affairs; Jillian Gardner, NPMA Office Manager and Assistant to the CEO, and a professional facilitator, the task force held its first meeting in October 2021, continuing over the course of nine months.
The IDE Task Force was comprised of:
Task Force Co-Chairs:
· Erin Richardson, All-American Pest Control, Inc., Nashville, TN
· Joel Nolasco, NuBorn Pest Control, Mamaroneck, NY
· Anthony Brown, Rentokil North America, Wyomissing, PA∗
· Courtney Carace, Pest-End, Inc., Plaistow, NH
· Sara Cromwell, Abell Pest Control, Etobicoke, ON, Canada
· Cleveland Dixon Jr., Holiday Termite & Pest Control, Herndon, VA
· Samantha Forrest, Corteva AgriScience, Indianapolis, IN
· Mark DeGeare, Forshaw, Charlotte, NC∗
· Emily Hartsell, ABC Home & Commercial Services of Austin, Austin, TX
· Dennis Jenkins, ABC Home & Commercial Services of DFW, Lewisville, TX
· Marcus Johnson, Target Specialty Products, Winter Garden, FL∗
· Julie Marquardt, Ecolab, Inc., St. Paul, MN∗
· Billy Olesen ACE, Peststop, Tumwater, WA
· Jason Payne, Payne Pest Management, Inc., San Diego, CA
· Luke Rambo, Rambo Total Pest Control, Puyallup, WA
· Leila Starwich, Sprague Pest Solutions, Denver, CO
· James Steed, Neighborly Pest Management, Inc., Roserville, CA
· Ruby Swann, Rollins, Inc., Atlanta, GA∗
· Nate Tamialis, Veseris USA, Commerce, CA
· Ka Tsu, ServicePro.Net, Inc., Columbus, OH
· Christina Valdivia, Wildlife Management Services, Inc., Brooklyn Park, MN
· Adam Witt, Witt Pest Management, Pittsburgh, PA
∗Task Force Sponsor
· Cook’s Pest Control
· Target Specialty Products
Many thanks to the task force members and sponsors for their contributions to this effort. For more information on NPMA’s commitment to inclusion, diversity and equity and the outcomes of the task force work and progress to date, visit www.npmapestworld.org/inclusion.
Want to Get Involved in NPMA Leadership?
As part of a commitment to prioritizing inclusivity and diversity in the industry, NPMA is actively seeking a broad range of voices to serve in a variety of volunteer leadership positions. Visit www.npmapestworld.org/volunteer to learn more.
NPMA Leadership at All Levels
Leadership and the development of emerging leaders takes many forms at NPMA. From our board of directors and its executive committee, who set the strategic direction for the organization, to our many volunteer councils, committees and task forces, NPMA has numerous ways to get involved in association activities.
But NPMA also works to develop leaders. The prestigious Executive Leadership Program (ELP) is a selective two-year curriculum designed to develop a pipeline of engaged members that represent NPMA’s diverse membership. Each year, NPMA selects a cohort to participate in the program that prepares them for association leadership through mentorship, as well as regular online and in-person meetings.
And for those looking to develop their leadership skills, NPMA hosts its annual Academy. A conference unlike any other, Academy attendees experience team-building firsthand through interactive games and competitions, coupled with educational sessions specifically designed for current and emerging industry leaders.